THE YEAR OF 1957
This was my second year of the Technician's training program,which included short posting
of up to three weeks to various field sites.
- Telephone exchange maintenance - Camberwell Exchange
- Telephone maintenance - Hawthorn, Kew, Balwyn areas
- Telephone exchange installation - Burwood
- Telephone maintenance - City area
- Linemans' Training School - Fishermens' Bend
I continued to devote spare time to my radio monitoring hobby, using the "Chassis" receiver.
for shortwave propagation research.
I had formed close friendships wioth some of my fellow Trainees and we enjoyed many pleasant
weekend activities, including tennis, and bike riding to the nearer hills.
I had a special friendfship with one trainee, Graeme, and we went on many train
trips to country loctiions at weekends. He was from Cohuna, on the Murray, and I spent a week at his home there over the Xmas
period. That is where I learned to drive, on a Morris Major car belonging to Graeme's father. Yes, I was only 17 at
Below are some photos taken in early 1957 on a field training posting to Camberwell Exchange..